Monitoring is an essential component of the ASCC study. Research partners from the University of Minnesota and the Northern Institute of Applied Climate Science are working together with the City of Saint Paul to investigate the effectiveness of different management treatments aimed at creating adaptive ecosystems. Some of the monitoring items include:
- Natural regeneration and planted seedling survival and growth, including browse protection and avoided trampling of seedlings, and
- Soil moisture and microclimate conditions.
Progress & Next Steps:
Project participants will begin refining and implementing the adaptive management treatments determined at a March 2019 workshop. Next steps for site managers and researchers are:
- Collect pre-treatment data
- Order future-adapted seedlings for planting
- Create outreach and education campaigns for the Twin Cities community
A key component of this project will be continued community engagement, with an overarching goal of creating an educated, engaged public, involved in local climate adaptation efforts.